When route planning
When route planning
March 16, 2015 12:09PM
When route planning I sometimes want to zoom in for more detail. It would be good if clicking on a point on the map kept the zoom centered on that point. This would reduce the scanning around to get back to the area I was looking at before the zoom.

Thank you for a great program,
Gary
Re: When route planning
March 16, 2015 10:21PM
The current behavior when zooming in is to maintain the center of the chart. We experimented with zooming around other points and the results were counter-intuitive and not very satisfactory.

To move any point to the center of the screen double-click on it. This will recenter the chart, and zooming in will maintain the same center.

--
Polar Navy Support
March 17, 2015 09:12AM
Thank you for the feedback. I tried what you described, but it does not appear to be what happens. When I double click it places a red "target" on the map but it does not recenter and the zoom is still centered on the center of the screen, regardless of the position of the "target".
March 17, 2015 09:26PM
It sounds like you are using PolarView in "touch screen" mode. This mode of operation is primarily designed to be used when you interact with an actual touch screen, rather than a mouse.
To turn restore normal mouse operation - un-check "Touch screen controls" under Preferences->Interface

--
Polar Navy Support
December 04, 2018 12:32PM
Polar Navy Support wrote years ago:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The current behavior when zooming in is to
> maintain the center of the chart. We experimented
> with zooming around other points and the results
> were counter-intuitive and not very satisfactory.
>
>
> To move any point to the center of the screen
> double-click on it. This will recenter the chart,
> and zooming in will maintain the same center.

I'm bouncing this old thread for a reason. I kind of inherited a PolarView system years ago and used it a lot on Lake Michigan. Just recently I purchased my own, latest, version, so I'd like to share my experiences.

Of course zooming into the center of the screen makes some sense, especially in life ship mode. On the other hand, in these times with practically every online map system zooming in to the mouse pointer, zooming into the center often is much more counter-intuitive, especially while planning routes, which is what this thread is about.

In my opinion, the mouse wheel zoom should center on the mouse pointer, and touch-screen gestures should center on the middle between the two fingertips. The zoom bar, however, should zoom into the center of the map or into the position of the ship.

Besides that, the [+] and [-] buttons of the zoom bar should be as big as the touch screen control buttons in the upper right corner. Lake Michigan is "just" a lake, but I can tell you it can be pretty rough once in a while. I'm not a fair-weather skipper. The group I co-founded is restoring the most isolated light station in Lake Michigan, and we have to relieve crews out there in bad weather too.

So you want to zoom out one step on a badly prancing boat. You miss the [-] button by a millimeter or two and brush the lowermost scale button instead, bringing up a nice view of the entire area from the Bering Sea to Norway and from Samoa to the Central African Republic. No kidding! Happened to me many times.

Now, if you think you can just zoom back in, you're wrong. You may end up miles away from where you got catapulted into outer space. I blame rounding errors for this phenomenon. It could be avoided by keeping the exact coordinates of the chart center in a separate memory location and re-using them while zooming back in without moving the chart. That would use just a few bytes.

One might even consider a little separation field between the big [+] and [-] buttons and the tiny bar buttons to further prevent such accidental geography classes. That would be a huge improvement too.

What do other users think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 12:34PM by Captain Greybeard.
December 04, 2018 07:54PM
Thank you for the input - definitely something to consider.

--
Polar Navy Support
December 05, 2018 03:35PM
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. It's good to know that you folks actually read this kind of stuff. PolarView offers a lot for the money, but there always is room for improvement, sometimes even with relatively little programming effort.

While we are talking about handling the PolarView functions in heavy seas, there is a suggestion on the Feature Requests thread concerning buttons for the colors of the main pane and the instruments. I fully agree to that.

On the screen of my 11" tablet, the regular drop down menu options are 5/32" apart (that's 4 millimeters for metric guys like me), extremely difficult to hit properly on a pitching and rolling boat. I think it would be relatively easy to add a " Day / Night View" option to the touch screen Ship menu. The selection of preferred colors for day and night, both for the main pane and the instruments, could be added to the Chart and Instruments sections on the Interface tab of the Preferences, since it is something you normally do once and then, if satisfied, stick to it.

Adding those options to the Preferences means that the Chart Colors option in the View menu and the Instrument Colors option in the Instruments menu can be dropped. No additional clutter, just one seaway-proof button for switching everything from day to night and vice versa with preset colors without taking up space on the main display.

A few months ago I had to switch to night colors while entering the Grand Traverse Bay amidst five-footers, which is not particularly rough in that area. As a recently retired oral surgeon I'm not exactly clumsy, but it took me about twenty attempts to get things right: View (tiny) -> Chart Colors (tiny) -> Night Colors (tiny), done after about eight misses; then Instruments (tiny) -> Instrument Colors (tiny) -> Night Blue, eventually done too after another dozen misses. And all that while trying to steer the boat through the waves without knocking all passengers from their seats.

Absolutely infuriating. The same thing according to my suggestion: Chart Control Display button (big) once, twice or not at all -> Ship button (big) -> Day / Night View (big). Done.

You simply can't use a mouse at the helm, not on a vessel below 1 million bucks anyway. It's that simple. Everything that has to be used while steering the vessel must be easily and safely accessible. Everything that can be done in your armchair or at your desk can go into the regular menus.

Thank you very much for your patience.
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login