ais support
ais support
January 17, 2017 05:57PM
I have installed an ACR AISLINK CB1 transceiver on my boat. It is working properly. It will not display the AIS info in Polar View. I am using a MacBook Pro. The AIS data is displayed on the computer screen in the "Pro AIS2" program. The MacBook has 2 USB ports. One for the Global Sat BS-353 GPS that communicates with Polar View and the other for the AIS transceiver. How can I get everything to communicate together? Can Polar View use the GPS data from the AIS?
Re: ais support
January 18, 2017 12:27PM
By default PolarView is preconfigured with a single autodetected serial port.

To use GPS device and AIS receiver simultaneously on two ports, you will need to disable the autodetected port and manually configure 2 serial ports - one for the GPS and one for the AIS.

Please follow these instructions for each port configuration: [support.polarnavy.com]

Make sure to exit any other AIS (or serial port) software when using PolarView, as serial ports cannot be shared.

--
Polar Navy Support
January 26, 2017 01:06PM
I have tried all the different ways to configure my ACR AISLink to Polar View. In the autodetect mode it will not configure either on 4800 baud or 38,400 baud. In manual configuration, in the port drop down window, the AIS is identified as /dev/tty.usbmodemFD121. If configured and selected the Port manager dialog box shows "waiting" and does change after a long wait. I have contact ACR tech support and they feel the problem is in the polar view and the port configuration. As mentioned previously the AIS works fine through the USB cable in the Pro AIS2 interface with the AIS. All nearby AIS vessels are displayed. Any other ideas or options?
January 27, 2017 10:01AM
In general, you should copy the port configuration that is used in the other software (i.e. port name, baud rate and flow control mode). You may want to try different flow control modes (accessible by pressing "Advanced" button) - some devices are sensitive to specific flow control mode selection.

To debug the port operation you may need to open this port in a terminal emulation software to find out the correct settings. It sounds like you are using MacOS. If so, you can use supplied command line "screen" utility - sample instructions are available here: [software.intel.com]

You would want to try several baud rates, until you can see NMEA AIS sentences (ASCII readable text, may begin with AIVDM). The settings that work for external terminal emulator should also work for PolarView.

--
Polar Navy Support
January 28, 2017 10:32AM
I have been using a USB connection to an AIS receiver for the application POLARVIEW NS for many years under MacOS. Here is a screen shot of the port configuration.

In order to make a connection to an AIS USB port, you first have to discover the device name. To find the device name of your AIS USB port, use a terminal window. Enter the command

ls /dev/cu*

--or--

ls /dec/tty.*

This will list all devices. You will have to deduce which device is your AIS receiver from the list of devices.

To see the data from a serial connection to the AIS device, enter the command

screen /dev/cu.yourDeviceNameHere 38400

For MacOS users it may be helpful to have a handy terminal available. An AppleScript I wrote invokes a terminal window. Here is the text of an AppleScript:

set baudList to {1200, 2400, 4800, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400}

set baudRate to (choose from list baudList default items {9600})

tell application "Terminal"

set serialDevices to (do shell script "ls /dev/cu*"winking smiley

set theDeviceList to (paragraphs of serialDevices) as list

set theDevice to (choose from list theDeviceList)

do script "screen " & theDevice & " " & baudRate

set number of rows of window 1 to 24
	set number of columns of window 1 to 80
	set background color of window 1 to "black"
	set normal text color of window 1 to "green"
	set custom title of window 1 to "SerialOut"

display dialog "To quit your terminal session type control-A then control-backslash "

end tell

Open the Script Editor and paste this text into the editor. Then hit the COMPILE button (the hammer icon). Then SAVE the script.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 12:05PM by Jim Hebert.
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login