Using NV Charts
Using NV Charts
January 30, 2017 11:41AM
I recently purchased a NV Chart kit for Cuba which includes electronic BSB charts. The charts downloaded into the directory c:/chartkit/Bsbchart. I am having a problem using these charts in PolarView NS. When I go to Chart Manager - Add Directory and point to the NV charts, I get the error message, "No compatibly ENC or BSB cells found in directory c:/chartkit/Bsbchart." There are many .BSB and .EAP files in that directory.

How can I use these charts with PolarNavy?

Thanks,

Bill
Re: Using NV Charts
January 31, 2017 11:55AM
As far as I know, NV Charts produces their charts in proprietary raster format that is not BSBv3 and, as such, not compatible with PolarView.

--
Polar Navy Support
January 31, 2017 01:28PM
I sent an email to support at NV Charts and this was their response -

Thank you for contacting nv charts support. I´m not quite sure if PolarView is able to show our charts but you can download the nv digital BSB version from our website: [eu.nvcharts.com]

I downloaded the charts using this link so they should be BSB??
January 31, 2017 04:44PM
That answer is somewhat misleading, hopefully not on purpose.

- BSBv3 (or simply BSB ) refers to the original unencrypted format designed by NOAA
- BSBv4 refers to encrypted format designed by Maptech on behalf of NOAA and currently used primarily by CHS
Both of these formats are supported by PolarView.

NV charts use a proprietary chart encryption. Originally they licensed BSBv4 from Maptech, but later chose to implement their own encryption scheme. I am guessing it is somewhat similar internally to the encrypted BSBv4, hence they get to call it "BSB" - I wish they did not, or at least added an explicit qualifier to prevent confusion. They do not license this encryption scheme to third parties in a way that is applicable to PolarView. As such, their charts cannot be used with PolarView.

--
Polar Navy Support

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 04:45PM by Polar Navy Support.
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login