Association of way points and route points is lost
Association of way points and route points is lost
December 06, 2017 03:32PM
PolarView gets into a mode where the association of a waypoint with a route point gets lost for all new route points. If I create a new route point, edit a route to associate the route point and waypoint, save the route to a file, unload the route, and reload the the route, the association between the route point and waypoint is gone. Once it gets into this mode, this problem happens for all new waypoints. I get around the problem by saving all waypoints to a file, deleting them all in Polar Navy, reloading them, and going through associating each point again.

In the waypoint dialog, I see that the waypoint has the tags [Recent], [All], and the SurfCityToCharleston.

My route file is SurfCityToCharleston.gpx Working in this file I moved a route point over the waypoint SM 325. PolarNavy created the association as expected. Then I saved the file to SurfCityToCharleston.gpx, deleted the route, and loaded it. The association with SM 325 was gone. Without doing any edits I immediately saved the route to SurfCityToCharlestonReload.gpx. It shows that SM 325 is no longer used. Next I saved the waypoints to the file SurfCityToCharlestonWP.gpx.

I am using PolarNavy NS Version 3.0.4 on Mac OS.
Attachments:
open | download - SurfCityToCharleston.gpx (40.7 KB)
open | download - SurfCityToCharlestonReload.gpx (40.6 KB)
open | download - SurfCityToCharlestonWP.gpx (2.8 KB)
Re: Association of way points and route points is lost
December 06, 2017 10:18PM
I don't seem to be able to replicate this issue. I.e. - when loading the data you provided, I get route points associated to corresponding waypoints, whether those waypoints were present before route was loaded or loaded together with the route.
If I modify the route to associate a new route point with the waypoint, and save the modified route to a file - it is saved together with all associated waypoints, including the newly associated waypoint.

Could you please try to replicate the sequence of events with a smallest possible route/waypoint set (i.e. a route with 2-3 points and a single waypoint) and let me know the exact sequence of actions that results in this problem?

What platform are you using PolarView with?

--
Polar Navy Support
December 07, 2017 05:13PM
I am running Mac OS SX El Capitan Version 10.11.6.

It is difficult to know how I normally generate this problem since I don't notice the symptom until the next time I load the route. Once it starts happening, it occurs for every waypoint added to the route.

I was able to reproduce the symptoms with the following steps. This not my normal sequence but the results are the same.

If I start with no route defined and no waypoints defined, load the waypoints file [All].gpx, and then load SurfCityToCharlestonUpdated.gpx, the waypoint SM 335 is not used as a route point. However, if I load SurfCityToCharlestonUpdated.gpx prior to loading [All].gpx then the waypoint SM 335 is used as a route point.

If I unload the route, delete waypoint SM 335 and reload the route it does work correctly. The problem appears to be duplicated definitions of the waypoint.

Once in this state, if I create a new waypoint, use it as a route point, save the route to a file, delete the waypoint, and reload the route it works correctly. The waypoint is used as a route point. I only see the problem if don't delete the waypoint after unloading the project.
Attachments:
open | download - [All].gpx (15.7 KB)
open | download - SurfCityToCharlestonUpdated.gpx (40.7 KB)
December 07, 2017 07:08PM
Thank you, I was able to reproduce the issue - will look into this.

--
Polar Navy Support
December 07, 2017 11:27PM
It looks like the issue is caused by the combination of the data you have and specific PolarView behavior.

Note that coordinates of waypoint "SM 335" are not the same in the files you attached.
In [All].gpx:
<wpt lat="33.8915349" lon="-78.4611360">
<name>SM 335</name>
<sym>dot</sym>
</wpt>

In SurfCityToCharlestonUpdated.gpx:
<wpt lat="33.8915110" lon="-78.4611552">
<name>SM 335</name>
<sym>dot</sym>
</wpt>

When loading waypoints, PolarView allows for small difference (less than 10 meters) in distance if names of waypoints match. I.e. a new waypoint that is "really close" to the existing waypoint with the same name will be merged into it.

However, route points require an exact coordinate match to be attached to a waypoint.

Because the waypoints you loaded from original waypoint file had slightly different coordinates (the difference being too small to see on a chart), route points did not get attached to them. However, new waypoints loaded from the route file were merged into existing waypoints, so no duplicate waypoints were created.

In the next release PolarView will be modified to apply consistent distance deviation allowance to both route and waypoints.

--
Polar Navy Support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 11:28PM by Polar Navy Support.
December 08, 2017 02:20PM
Thanks for the quick response.

It is possible to reproduce the symptom without loading in the mismatched definitions. If you add another waypoint near SM 335, use it as a route point, save the route to a file, delete the route, and then reload it you will see that the waypoint is no longer used as a waypoint. If you unload the route, delete the new waypoint, and then reload the route you will see that the waypoint is once again used as a route point.

It seems that saving and reloading the waypoint introduces enough error to produce the behavior you described. It sounds like the fix you described would handle this problem too.

Do you have any idea when the next PolarView release will be available?
December 08, 2017 02:38PM
Curious, will test this as well.

Unless there are critical bugs that require an immediate update, a cumulative bug fix release is due sometime in the late spring.

--
Polar Navy Support
December 08, 2017 03:00PM
Looks like I am unable to reproduce the change in the waypoint position. Could you please try the following sequence of actions:

1. Under Preferences->Units select decimal degree units for position (DD.DDDDD)
2. Create a new waypoint near the location where you noticed possible waypoint position shift. Note the waypoint name.
3. Export this waypoint (or all waypoints, at your option) into a GPX file.
4. Rename this waypoint.
5. Reload GPX file from step 3.
Since waypoint names differ, they should not be merged regardless of coordinates. Check whether coordinates for the original and new waypoint match. PolarView will display waypoint coordinates in decimal form with 5 digits of precision. The most recent example of data differed sufficiently in the 5th digit, that we should be able to see if there is a change introduced through the save and reload process.

--
Polar Navy Support
December 08, 2017 05:40PM
The coordinates for the original and new waypoint do match in the user interface.

It looks like the problem occurs if I edit the waypoint. For example, I created the waypoint WPT156. I saved, reloaded and saved the file again. The waypoint was defined the same in both files:

<wpt lat="33.8915548" lon="-78.4599468">
<name>WPT156</name>
<sym>dot</sym>
</wpt>

Then I changed the name and saved the file again. I changed nothing except the name but the waypoint was changed to:

wpt lat="33.8915500" lon="-78.4599333">
<name>WPT156 change</name>
<sym>dot</sym>
</wpt>
December 08, 2017 11:39PM
What sequence of actions do you use to change the name of the waypoint?

--
Polar Navy Support
December 09, 2017 06:48PM
In the Route & Waypoint Manager dialog box I selected the waypoint, clicked on Edit, changed the name, and clicked on Save.
December 17, 2017 07:56PM
Were you able to reproduce this? Will it be addressed? Does your change for handling "really close" data points address this?
December 17, 2017 09:50PM
I was not able to reproduce the change of waypoint coordinates due to save/reload.
The change in waypoint to route point matching logic would likely resolve this issue, although ideally coordinates should not change.

The fix will probably come out with a cumulative update sometime in spring 2018.

--
Polar Navy Support
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login