Error Downloading specific charts and missing charts in Severn Estuary
Error Downloading specific charts and missing charts in Severn Estuary
February 01, 2018 04:44PM
1) I have downloaded all U.K charts that I have paid for except I keep getting the error: 'Error downloading...' for charts GB51827A and GB50806B (see attached picture).

2) There also seems to be a chart missing for the Severn Estuary meaning a passage through the Severn Estuary is not possible. There is only a tiny chart visible for a tiny area (see attached picture).

3) I also wanted to check what the feature is on the chart that looks similar to a pie chart. It is the visible arcs of the lighthouse but I can't understand why it would show at this scale and I am wondering if it is related to the missing chart for the severn estuary (see attached picture).

Other than that I have been very impressed with the software.
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot (52).png (118.4 KB)
open | download - Screenshot (50).png (400.5 KB)
open | download - Screenshot (51).png (130.7 KB)
Re: Error Downloading specific charts and missing charts in Severn Estuary
February 01, 2018 10:31PM
1. Charts GB51827A and GB50806B have been discontinued in the most recent (October) update from UKHO. Our chart set was updated but index file was not, hence you still saw them in the download list. It has been corrected now.

2. Specific coverage questions are best directed to UKHO. We resell charts provided by them, subject to license and within the general UK chart area. If a certain area is not covered, it is likely that they do not provide a chart for that specific area.

3. You are seeing light sectors rendered for a light at that location. Light sectors are shown based on their scaled size, which in turn is based on visible light distance as encoded in appropriate chart. It seems like a large scale (smaller area) chart encodes a light with a very large sector distance, which causes it to be rendered.

--
Polar Navy Support
March 05, 2018 05:14PM
Hi,

I finally received a response from the UKHO regarding the above. It seems to suggest that the ENCs are missing off the Polar Navy system as the charts do exist. Response below:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding ENCs of Severn Estuary,

Your enquiry was passed to the relevant Charting Branch here at the UKHO, they have advised the following:

"There is an ENC available for the area shown – GB40864B.

(There is also coverage of other areas on the attachment which are shown in blue, without detail: Port of Bristol – GB501859, Newport – GB50864D and Cardiff – GB50864E).

It may be that the customer has only requested ENCs of a certain usage band (scale)"

The attached screenshots showing GB40864B, GB40864B has a scale of 1:22,000, from our ADMIRALTY Digital Catalogue and our internal systems.

Checking the Polar Navy website they state on the following page [polarnavy.wordpress.com] (however this is from back in 2012)

"Chart data contains all scales available from the UKHO including port level."

So you may need to speak to Polar Navy regarding GB40864B, as the UKHO do produce an ENC in the area in question.

I hope you find this information of use, but please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require further assistance at any time.
Attachments:
open | download - GB40864B from our Admiralty Digital Catalogue.pdf (635.4 KB)
March 08, 2018 10:28AM
Hi, Can I have an update on the above issue please? Are you able to contact UKHO and request the charts so you can add them to PolarNavy?

Thanks
March 08, 2018 11:49AM
Our charts from UKHO are updated twice a year, about October and April. In October UKHO data set there is no chart GB40864B. If this chart is present in a data provided to us in April, it should be made available at that time.

Intermediate partial updates are not really possible as chart set needs to remain consistent.

--
Polar Navy Support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 11:50AM by Polar Navy Support.
March 08, 2018 03:19PM
Ok thanks
April 05, 2018 12:50PM
As an update, current (April) data set from UKHO does not include chart GB40864B either.
The following are the charts with similar names that are included:

GB40862A Approaches to Porthcawl
GB40862B Swansea Bay
GB40863A England - West Coast - River Severn - Avonmouth to Sharpness & Hock Cliff
GB40864A Barry and Cardiff Road and Approaches

--
Polar Navy Support
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login