Vector Chart files being deleted
Vector Chart files being deleted
April 09, 2018 03:20AM
I have purchased and got access to the Polar Navy ENC UK vector charts until 23/09/2018 and the first time that I download and install the charts they appear fine. However, as soon as I close PolarView NS and then re-open, the vector charts are not available and I have to reload them. In chart manager it says the files are missing. Looking in the chart directory, all the .000, .001 etc. files have been removed. As PolarView NS closes, a small dialog box appears momentarily saying "cleaning up", which may relate to the deletion of these files?

I used to be able to download the vector charts, load them into PolarView NS and they would always be there. I take the laptop out sailing where I have no internet access and so I can't download the files when I am out on the water. But even when I do have internet access I seem to have to download the vector charts everytime I start Polarview NS.

Any ideas please?
Re: Vector Chart files being deleted
April 09, 2018 02:38PM
Could you please do the following (requires screen shots, assumes you are using Windows version):
1. In the Chart Download dialog select a specific single chart from the "Polar Navy" list, (let's say GB400737)
Take a screen capture of the entire Chart Manager at this point (including the download directory) and attach here.
If the complete name of the download directory is not visible in the dialog - please paste it in your reply separately.

2. Download the selected chart. Switch to the "Charts" tab, find the new chart, double-click to recenter and make sure it is visible.

3. At this point, without closing PolarView, in Windows explorer open the download directory, and under it follow into ENC_ROOT/GB400737 (the location of the ENC chart files). Take a screen capture showing the file list with dates and sizes.

4. Exit PolarView. Refresh the directory view above (if files are being deleted, they should disappear from the subdirectory). Take another screen capture of whatever remains in the subdirectory. If you find that the entire subdirectory GB400737 no longer exists - please let me know.

--
Polar Navy Support
April 27, 2019 12:49PM
Hi, I have the same problem again this year now that I have renewed the software and chart licences and installed the latest version of the software. I did manage to sort this out last year, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did to solve the problem.

I have carefully gone through the whole process as you advised above and have taken screenshots at each step. A vector chart downloads OK and is displayed, exiting the program gives the "cleaning up" message and then the .000 file is deleted from the relevant chart directory. I have screenshots of the directory just before exiting and just after - they clearly show that the .000 file is deleted. Restarting the software results in the chart not being displayed and chart manager shows that the chart is missing - which it would be as the .000 file has been deleted.

Please help!!

Regards
Paul
Attachments:
open | download - Screen1.JPG (172.8 KB)
open | download - Screen2.JPG (240 KB)
open | download - Screen3.JPG (273.3 KB)
open | download - Screen4.JPG (266.5 KB)
open | download - Screen5.JPG (132.2 KB)
open | download - Screen6.JPG (175.1 KB)
open | download - Screen7.JPG (171 KB)
open | download - Screen8.JPG (110.5 KB)
open | download - Screen9.JPG (131.9 KB)
open | download - Screen10.JPG (228.3 KB)
April 27, 2019 06:20PM
PolarView does not normally remove chart files - there is no functionality to do so aside from explicitly requesting removal from the Chart Manager.

Unfortunately, I am also unable to replicate this behavior.

As a test, could you please turn off any antivirus/protection software on the system before downloading charts (in case the chart is being removed for "quarantine" purposes).

If that does not help - let me know, and we'll see what else could be done.

--
Polar Navy Support
April 27, 2019 06:56PM
I've tried turning off Windows Defender and the same behaviour happens.

The downloaded chart is fully available and usable until I exit the Polar Navy software, then the cleaning up message flashes up and the .000 file vanishes from the directory, leaving all the .txt files behind.

Paul
April 27, 2019 07:54PM
Just to be sure - cleanup message is not related to any file operations. It refers to freeing memory and other resources. There is no code in PolarView that would delete a file at shutdown.

Could you please try the following:
1. download a chart from PolarView
2. while PolarView is running, enter chart directory and change chart file extension (to something non-numeric, i.e. GB000000.BAK)
3. exit PolarView
At this point, check if the file is still present.

If the above results in file disappearing, try the same steps, but at step 2 move the file into another directory instead.

--
Polar Navy Support
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login