charts won't install
charts won't install
April 27, 2018 01:26PM
I have just installed PolarView NS on my Mac OSX 10.4.11. I have some downloaded BSB charts from Canadian Hydrographic Service. According to CHS these downloaded charts are now unencripted. When I use Chart Manager > Charts to install these charts to PV, the result is that the charts files are visible in my added directory (BSBCHART) as “faded” files that do not respond to anything. Could you enlighten me as to what might be wrong?
Re: charts won't install
April 27, 2018 11:47PM
I was not aware that CHS now provides their charts in an unencrypted format - good news, if true.

- After you add chart directory in Chart Manager - do you see these charts listed in Chart Manager->Charts tab?
- Could you please post a screen capture showing your Chart Manager->Charts tab with these charts in the view.

--
Polar Navy Support
April 28, 2018 07:20PM
CHS still protect their charts, but I don't know how, exactly. You have to go via a Canadian government site where you get an on-line account. The set of charts you ordered is then downloadable as a .zip file. You unzip and extract the files into a folder of your choice, where the chart files are in a folder called BSBCHART. These files, I am informed, are BSB v3 files, not encripted BSB v4 files. You do have to pay for them, by the way.

To answer your question, no, the files don't show up in the Cart Manager>Charts menu - only in the Choose a Folder menu, but only "vaguely" (I don't know whether you can see that). When you click on Choose, the Chart screen flickers, but no new files appear. It is as if PV can't recognize them. I can't figure out why not, can you?

Jake
Attachments:
open | download - Picture 1.png (174.9 KB)
April 28, 2018 10:43PM
The file extension .CAP suggests that these are BSBv4 (encrypted) charts. By convention, BSBv3 files use extension .KAP.

To install these charts you need to obtain appropriate keys, and follow installation process for BSBv4, as outlined in an article on this site.

--
Polar Navy Support
April 29, 2018 12:03PM
OK, I'll get back to my CHS contact.
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login