UK & Ireland Charts Expired
UK & Ireland Charts Expired
June 08, 2018 03:14PM
When I upgraded to PolarView NS Version 3.0.4 on my Mac Mini under Mac OS 10.9.5 (Darwin 13.4.0 x86_64) I didn't realise that I'd lose my perpetual access to the UK & Ireland Charts that I bought with Polarview years ago.

I see that they are still available with one of my backup discs, which has the old Polarview version, and also with my Windows computer on my boat, which I hadn't yeet got round to updating.

Is there any way I can get back to these old charts with PolarView NS Version 3.0.4 on my Mac Mini other than deleting v3.0.4 and reinstalling the older version?
Re: UK & Ireland Charts Expired
June 08, 2018 03:59PM
There are two separate issues:

1. Access to UK & Ireland charts downloads has always been for a period of 1 year from the purchase of such access. This is due to the UKHO licensing requirements. This has not changed in any version of PolarView.

2. Any downloaded charts, including encrypted charts such as UK & Ireland, continue to be available on the system on which they were installed, without a time limit. They should continue to be available during product upgrades as well, as long as you install the new version of PolarView directly over the previous one.

If you reinstall the operating system or otherwise erase your PolarView profile directory (on a MacOS located under $HOME/.PolarNavy) - chart access will be lost. To ensure chart access, you may want to restore PolarView profile directory from a previous backup.

--
Polar Navy Support
June 08, 2018 05:03PM
Thanks very much. I copied over the backed up .polarnavy files and it's all as I want again.

One day I'll uoprade the UKHO charts, but round where I sail they don't change much or often.

Gordon
June 17, 2018 02:18PM
Can you please confirm that the UKHO charts that I've had for several years (not updated recently) are only licenced to be used with Polarview that I've installed and registered on my Windows and my Mac computer?

I've assumed that the licence number wouldn't work with any other charting or mapping software, and I've never tried them.

Gordon
June 17, 2018 02:55PM
UK charts downloaded in PolarView can only be used with PolarView. UKHO licenses their products to specific manufacturers, and licenses cannot be ported between products.

--
Polar Navy Support
June 17, 2018 05:11PM
Thanks for that. Gordon
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login