Recently created waypoints not appearing in Route Manager
Recently created waypoints not appearing in Route Manager
April 05, 2019 04:59AM
I created about fifteen to twenty waypoints yesterday along with a few some routes, and today none of the waypoints appear in the Route Manager. This has nothing to do with visibility on the charts, and selecting [ALL] does not show them in the Route Manager Waypoints Tab. They were all tagged with ANCHOR and this doesn't work either. The routes I created do appear. Since I don't know where waypoints are stored, not sure how I could reload them or if that is possible.

Also I noticed that some random WPTxxx showed up in Route Manager (Waypoints tab) clustered together that have LAT/LONG but are otherwise empty, in the area where I was creating some of the waypoints.

Thanks for your help.

I have Mac OS 10.13.12 and recently upgraded to Polarview 3.0.8
Re: Recently created waypoints not appearing in Route Manager
April 05, 2019 10:23AM
Could you please perform and describe in detail a specific chain of actions that results in a missing waypoint?
I.e.:
- what key combination or mouse action you used to create one.
- How did you assign a waypoint name.
- Was the name visible after assignment.
- At what point did the name or the waypoint disappear from the screen.

--
Polar Navy Support
April 05, 2019 03:30PM
Yes, all the waypoints showed up on the chart and on the waypoint list as I create them.
In this instance as I was doing a circumnavigation of a large island, I reviewed the final set of waypoints on the chart.

I only have about 245 waypoints in my ROUTE MANAGER

The following is how I create waypoints.

Actions to create Waypoints:
<Apple cmd> click on a chart to set waypoint
RESULTS IN WPTxxx created in Route Manager and visible on chart
Select WPTxxx to Edit
Create Name
Select symbol (like ANCHOR)
Add description
Add comment
Add at least one TAG (like ANCHOR)
SAVE

Waypoint symbol and name shows on the chart
Waypoint name, lat, long, and description shows in Waypoint list

After I was finished yesterday adding many waypoints, i closed down PolarView. When I opened Polarview last night, all the new waypoints were missing. Instead as I again look at ROUTE MANAGER this morning, see attached photos, there are a set of consecutive Waypoints from WPT235 to WPT245 that are clustered around a chart area but have no contents other than LAT/LONG.

Also, I notice now that several ROUTE NAMES are now tags that are attached to WAYPOINTs for that route. See attached photo. Not sure how this happened, but not a big deal as I can remove waypoints from these tags. I have an attachment that shows the route names as tags for a waypoint.

Also, where can I find the waypoints stored on my file system? Could they be there but not loading? I ask because at one point I was missing routes, but then could find them and load them into Route Manager.

THanks for your help.
Tom
Attachments:
open | download - Empty Wayoints clustered.jpg (198.2 KB)
open | download - Screenshot of new waypoint.jpg (180.2 KB)
open | download - Routes showing up as tags.jpg (150.9 KB)
open | download - Typical waypoint - note route somehow got attached as a tag.jpg (199.6 KB)
April 05, 2019 10:49PM
1. Route and waypoint database is stored in the PolarView profile directory. It is in an internal format and cannot be manually loaded.

2. If you save a route with attached waypoints into a GPX file, and subsequently load that GPX file - any waypoints loaded from that GPX file will be tagged with the name of the file. As the name of the GPX file is based on the original route name, that would result in waypoints tagged with the route name.

3. From the description it appears that PolarView was unable to save all of it runtime route and waypoint data.
- What operating system are you using?
- How are you closing PolarView after use?
- Was the system shut down or rebooted at any time?

--
Polar Navy Support
April 09, 2019 03:39AM
I am on MAC OS 10.13.2 (high sierra)

I go to the Polarview NS drop down menu and select Quit (appleCMD Q)
it appears to be saving and then application quits

System was not shut down or rebooted during that time. See below that have not recently lost waypoints, but somehow route names still being assigned as tags on occasion.

Note:
I have noticed that without LOADING routes (no recent need to), it still sometimes assigns route names as TAGS. I have able to delete these tags successfully.

I save each route as I complete it
I save each waypoint as I create it, and see it visually on chart and in Waypoint List
I am now doing a save of [ALL] waypoints in case I lose waypoints again.
April 10, 2019 12:36AM
By "saving a route" do you mean exporting it into a GPX file?

--
Polar Navy Support
April 15, 2019 02:19AM
Yes, using the SAVE function on Polarview NS for each waypoint and each route. The routes save in GPX format.
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login