Feature Requests
Feature Requests
October 05, 2012 02:10PM
Feature requests can be posted in this thread.

--
Polar Navy Support
Range markers
October 05, 2012 09:33AM
Hi,

The range markers around my ship are dynamic. I prefer fixed range markers, like ever 1000 meters a ring. Can you make the distance between range markers and the number of range markers configurable?

Thanks,
Martijn
Re: Range markers
October 05, 2012 02:08PM
There is no such option at this time. Range rings are designed to be shown at a distance selected automatically for best possible view.

In general, where a convenient automatic default could provide a result acceptable to most users, PolarView design prefers that to individual configuration.

--
Polar Navy Support
VHF channels in PolarCOM or PolarView
October 05, 2012 09:28AM
Hi,

It would be great if PolarCOM could show VHF channels which are in range. If users could supply a list of VHF channels with the position of the VHF channel, the range (radius in meters), name and channel number. Something like this:

51.808158;4.649620;2000;Sector Dordrecht;79
51.909724;4.486542;500;Erasmus Bridge;20

It would be great if the VHF channels can show up when my vessel is in range.

thanks,
Martijn

---

As I realized later it is not only useful for VHF channels but also other information. Like height of bridges, phone numbers of harbors. So in general it would be great if PolarView can show information based on the current location and that information is easy to modify for users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 04:48PM by martijndemunnik.
Communicate with AIS device
October 05, 2012 09:31AM
Hi,

I've connected my AIS (COMNAV Voyager X3) successfully to PolarView/PolarCOM. But it would be great if the communication could be both ways. I would like to set some trip information in the AIS, like destination, ETA, number of passangers, etc

Thanks,
Martijn
Re: Range markers
October 05, 2012 04:45PM
When we communicate between ships or with radar stations we tell what our distance is to the next intersection, bridge, landmark etc. When the rings have a fixed size it is easy to calculate/estimate the distance to such point. Now I have to check the dimension of each ring and when the point is on 2.66 rings away and each ring is 840 meters its hard to calculate the distance. If the rings can't be configurable at least some 'easy' sizes would be preferabel. Just like on a radar display where the rings can be 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 meters.
Re: Feature Requests
November 01, 2012 02:59PM
Hello, Polarcom is a really nice, usefull tool, it might be improved by allowing it to work with the windows switch Alt-Tab, could this be something that can be added in a future release please.

Regards Niel
December 03, 2012 05:48PM
Just saw this thread after I created a new one about some NMEA sentences...
[support.polarnavy.com]

In summary, it would be great to have support for the XDR sentence.
I understand that it will be necessary to specify which IDs would be recognized.
My main use would be for displaying vessel pitch and roll, and possibly heave.

/Jason
Any plans to support IMU type data, such as XDR or PASHR sentences?
December 03, 2012 04:44PM
Hi,

I am just finishing up building a tilt-compensated compass as an Arduino project using readily (and cheaply!) available IMUs (Inertial Measurement Units). The components I am using provide Yaw/Pitch/Roll information at up to 50hz.

I convert Yaw to HDG easily enough, but I would also like to have the pitch and roll values available for display. In looking through NMEA sentences, I came across the following two sentences that look promising: XDR and PASHR. These sentences are not currently available under PolarCOM, at least according to your website.

Would it be possible to add parsers for them in a future release?

The XDR sentence is a general Transducer sentence that allows for any number of "quadruples" that indicate:
    [1] measurement type
    [2] measurement value
    [3] measurement units
    [4] name of measurement
See this url for more info:
[www.nexusmarine.se]

PASHR is a proprietary sentence that also allows for a heave value. It could be interesting to relate heave to seastate and automatically adjust the autopilot gain control... ALthough my preference would be to integrate a heave value as a quadruple in the XDR sentence.

Cheers,

/Jason
--
S/V Fugu
1978 Beneteau First 30
Re: Any plans to support IMU type data, such as XDR or PASHR sentences?
December 03, 2012 05:05PM
Another example of a device using XDR is the (relatively) inexpensive NasaMarine Clipper NMEA Wind Sensor, which uses it for air temperature. Here is a sample, I suppose C means Celsius:

$YXXDR, C, 27, C*66

Would be nice to have a temperature gauge in Polarcom.
Re: Any plans to support IMU type data, such as XDR or PASHR sentences?
December 03, 2012 05:24PM
I can see the issue in having multiple different sources of XDR information. Let's say you have 3 devices hooked up to a multiplexer, each providing some XDR information. How would PolarCOM know which sensor readings belong to which sensor?

I notice that your XDR sentence doesn't provide the 4th field, possibly because it is the only quadruple present. However, I confirm that the first "C" field defines the value as a temperature, and the second "C" field givees the units as degrees C. There should be a 4th field that says what kind of measurement it is. I now know of the yaw/pitch/roll angles, wind chill (relative and theoretical), air temperature. Who know how many other transducers out there have information available...

There is more XDR information from Airmar for the PB100 weather station:
[www.airmartechnology.com]

As long as the 4th field is present in the quadruple, it should be possible to parse the XDR sentences, even if there are multiple XDRs that have different sets of quadruples...

/Jason
December 03, 2012 10:27PM
I will put this on the list of items to research.

--
Polar Navy Support
Create dynamic web page displaying simple gauges
December 04, 2012 04:42PM
It would be useful if Polarcom could serve a formatted web page that displayed and continually refreshed simple gauges, that could be read from any device with a browser, such as a sunlight readible eink book reader.

Similar idea:
[www.holdentechnology.com]
Re: Feature Requests - PolarView Split Screen
December 07, 2012 08:02PM
It would be very handy to be able to split-screen PolarView so that both a Vector and a Raster chart were displayable in each split window such that a given window could have both portions displaying the same vector or raster chart at different display magnifications or one portion displaying the vector while the other displays the raster at independent levels of magnification.

Alternatively, permit multiple instances of PolarView to run connected to a single instance of PolarCOM.
December 13, 2012 01:52PM
A couple of feature requests here:
1) display an NMEA sentence tree -- which sentences are received on which ports
2) let the user define which instruments are present and which sentences they emit (option to send stats back to PolarNavy?)
3) identify backup instruments -- a backup GPS that is ignored unless the primary stops sending for x seconds. My NMEA mux has this capability, but my usb/bluetooth GPS can only connect to the MUX via PolarCOM so I may as well have this functionality right in PolarCOM
4) support for DSC / DSE sentences that can be output by DSC-capable VHF radios

5) per-port output filtering -- I would like to be able to specify which sentences to send to which output ports. When "Mux out" is selected, provide a list of available sentences to copy to that port

6) "graph-view" for depth, boat speed, true wind speed that would give a digital view of actual, with a log of the last x minutes. This would also be useful for displaying roll and pitch (would look like a sine wave).

/Jason
Waypoint Icons
December 17, 2012 07:49AM
Hi,

Can I suggest to add a few more waypoint icons?
1- A standard square icon but without the yellow fill in order to be able to see the object where it is put on (that is otherwise covered by the yellow fill).

2- Two more icons that are very useful during sailing regattas:
- a green square- no fill (for waypoints to be left on starboard).
- a red square- no fill (for waypoints to be left on port).

Best regards,

Bruno
February 18, 2013 05:59PM
I would like to create the polar speed of my boat. I also want to return this data to a multifunction display. I would like Polarcom compute the laylines and displays them in PolarView on the waypoint.
Is it possible that Polarcom returns to a port, tcpip and in a file, the data calculated as the true wind speed, true wind angle and all the data can be displayed in the window and instruments that are not displayed in the terminal.
April 08, 2013 03:25PM
I was at a boat show yesterday feeling pretty smug everytime someone showed off fancy electronics that my frugal little system already did with free and inexpensive software, then someone showed a $800 module that records all nmea data to flash memory, to provide something like the black box flight recorders on airplanes.

Well, I thought, I can't do that in Polarcom... but why not?

Perhaps Polarcom could handle at least the recording, which could be on the hard drive or USB thumb drive. Ability to go to any point in time and play back, in Polarcom and to the TCPIP stream for external display would be super, in simulated realtime, fast forward, or slow motion replay. Some ability to parse and summarize the data into human readable "captain's log" entries would be neat.
April 08, 2013 04:34PM
Well I believe I was looking in the wrong place for it, and there is a file input/file output feature already that can do some of what I am talking about. Not sure if it is time stamped, can't test it here.

With regards to my Captain's Log idea, perhaps that can be an instrument that logs min/max/average for other configured instruments on an hourly/configurable basis, along with current position etc., and perhaps allows text notes typed by the captain to be submitted.
April 10, 2013 08:31AM
Hello, first off I would like to say that I am experiencing no problems at all with the Polarcom, it is a great way of displaying the NMEA data, many thanks... is it possible to show the wind instruments with a digital interface i.e. wind speed (knts) and wind direction (degrees P / S from bow) as an option to the current analogue display?

Best regards
Niel
May 20, 2013 10:20AM
What are the chances of PolarNavy releasing a linux binary for ARM machines? Maybe built against Xubuntu for lightweight.

There are a "boat-load" (as it were) of folks out there experimenting with ARM based boards (myself included) for ultra low power nav systems. I am currently investigating using the ARM based CuBox as the basis of a system including a 16" monitor that draws 15W (1.25A@12V) wide open. Problem is, that while I can compile an open source nav application against an ARM architecture OS, I would much rather be able to run PolarView/PolarCom. With the proliferation of relativlely inexpensive ARM based boxes out there, it would seem to be a possible new revenue stream for PolarNavy, especially if you are the first out there with a proven product.

TIA for your consideration
May 20, 2013 04:24PM
There are no plans to provide ARM support for Linux in foreseeable future.

--
Polar Navy Support
July 06, 2013 11:53PM
Sure would be nice to output NMEA 2000 PGN for autopilot control....
July 06, 2013 11:58PM
It would be a desirable feature. However, our current N2K user base is relatively low. Because of that, our N2K support still needs to receive significantly more use hours before it reaches sufficient level of "confidence" to control A/P.

That, and I don't currently have access to N2K a/p for product testing.

Tugwit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure would be nice to output NMEA 2000 PGN for
> autopilot control....

--
Polar Navy Support
$wiMDA messages.
July 13, 2013 12:42PM
I have an airmar marine weatherstation that outputs NMEA messages. PolarCOM already reads most of the messages output by my device.

I see there is already a request to support $--XDR messages, the airmar outputs this message for windchill, barometric pressure, pitch and roll.

The message my device does output is a $wiMDA that would be nice to display. Is there any chance of being able to include this in PolarCOM?

Regards.
October 24, 2013 11:22AM
For AIS target raw data received from PolarCom, it would be interesting if PolarViewNS could write the decoded AIS messages into a log file.
November 01, 2013 09:07AM
Hello Admin,

is ist possible to have a personalised Version of your Software Polar Com for our Clients in Germany. We have some interest Projects where we can use your Software.

And what i like to know is, if you can programm us some specialized functions.

best regards

Marc Jähncke
EAConsult, BIS Electronics GmbH

France +33 6 88 82 49 89
Germany +49 4821 1341 80
GER mobil +49 151 14 92 87 20
November 23, 2013 12:53PM
AIS Type-4 Base Station Decoding

PolarViewNS should be able to decode AIS Type-4 messages received from base stations and plot the location of those base stations. In Canada most Canadian Coast Guard radio sites are also AIS base stations and are transmitting AIS Type 4 messages. In the USA a subset of RESCUE21 sites are also AIS base stations and are transmitting AIS Type 4 messages. The USA Coast Guard plans to add more AIS base stations until it has nationwide coverage.

As a result of the presence of many AIS Type-4 messages being transmitted, an AIS receiver that is anywhere near the coastal regions or the Great Lakes will be likely to receive at least one AIS base station. Being able to decode and plot an AIS Type-4 message in PolarViewNS will give a confirmation that the AIS receiver and PolarViewNS are working properly.

(ASIDE: it was only because of the reception of many AIS Type-4 messages which resulted in no plotting of any vessel in PolarView that I discovered the existence of so many AIS Type-4 message transmission in my reception area.)

To eliminate confusion in plotting, the AIS base station position should use an icon or symbol that clearly differentiates it from a vessel.

The AIS Type-4 message is not particularly complex in its encoding, so I believe it will not be burdensome to add it to the messages already decoded by PolarViewNS.

Thanks for considering this request for an additional feature.
January 24, 2014 09:10PM
I use Mac OS 10.6.8 and set up charts etc at home where I have the fastest Internet connection - at sea there is either none at all or very slow. So I use a big screen with lots of pixels. Then I clone the home computer to the laptop that I take to sea, and establish activation before going away. Unless I remember to make all the windows small on the home computer before cloning, the windows on the small-screen laptop are oversize, and the resizing handles are hidden. So I can't see or use the menu items at the bottom of the window.

Macs normally let you make the window fit the screen by pressing the green button at the top of the window. But it doesn't work with some of PolarNavy windows, eg the Chart Manager.

Can you please make all PolarNavy windows compatible with the Mac default for using the green button?

Gordon
January 24, 2014 10:24PM
This will possible only after PowerPC support has been retired from PolarView. No ETA for that right now, as there is a non-trivial number of PowerPC users.

dutyhog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Macs normally let you make the window fit the
> screen by pressing the green button at the top of
> the window. But it doesn't work with some of
> PolarNavy windows, eg the Chart Manager.
>
> Can you please make all PolarNavy windows
> compatible with the Mac default for using the
> green button?
>
> Gordon

--
Polar Navy Support
Please log in to post in this forum.

Click here to login