FAQ - PolarView
FAQ - PolarView
April 17, 2012 10:45PM
Where can I find PolarView documentation?
PolarView user guide is available under Help menu in PolarView as well as online:
User Guide.
You should also read or search through these support forums for articles on specific use topics.

What chart types are compatible with PolarView?
- S57 vector charts
- S63 encrypted vector charts
- BSBv3 raster charts
- BSBv4 encrypted raster charts

Can I use my Navionics charts/CMap charts/Garmin charts on a flash/chip/CD with PolarView?
Can you somehow copy or convert Navionics/CMap/Garmin charts into a format that is compatible with PolarView?

- Except as noted above, no other chart types are currently supported by PolarView.
- Navionics, CMap and Garmin charts are proprietary products. Their specifications are generally not available to 3rd parties. At this time none of these chart vendors have expressed willingness to provide us their chart data or specifications. As such, we do not have ability to use or convert their chart data.

Where can I get charts of US waters for use with PolarView?
Charts of US waters can be obtained from NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).
- Vector charts: [www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov]
- Raster charts: [www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov]

Charts of US inland waters can be obtained from USACE (Army Corps of Engineers).
- Vector charts: [www.agc.army.mil]

- You can download all available vector ENC charts (in S57 format) directly from PolarView by following instructions in this article.

Where can I get charts of Canada for use with PolarView?.
Raster charts of Canada in BSB v4 format are available from Canadian Hydrographic Service (http://www.chs.gc.ca/)
Vector charts of Canada in S63 format are available either directly from CHS (http://www.chs.gc.ca/) or from ChartWorld (http://www.chartworld.com/)
- Navionics S63 charts for Canada are sold by ChartWorld. These charts are created from original Navionics data.
You can order these charts directly from PolarView by following instructions in this article.

Where can I get international charts for use with PolarView?
PolarView supports international charts in S63 (vector) and BSBv4 (raster) formats.

Charts for most of world areas (including Canada , Bahamas, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Australia, Oceania and more ) in S63 vector format are available from ChartWorld (http://www.chartworld.com) as well as other S63 chart resellers.
WARNINGDirect orders of ChartWorld charts from PolarView have been suspended by ChartWorld at this time.

Charts in BSBv4 format for Canada are available from Canadian Hydrographic Service.

Charts in BSBv4 format for Central America and Mexico, Europe including UK and Mediterranean, and other areas are available from Maptech Navigation and a number of resellers.

What if I find an error in a chart?
What if charts for my area are not available or detailed coverage is missing?

Polar Navy does not produce any charts. Charts are produced by 3rd parties.
For US charts all specific questions of coverage should be directed to NOAA. They can be contacted through this page: http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/contact.htm
For other charts please contact chart issuer directly.

How do I install a new version of PolarView?
To upgrade an existing version of PolarView to a new release, you do not need to uninstall the previous version.
- Download the new release from Polar Navy download page.
- Install the new release using platform-appropriate installation method
- Run PolarView. Any existing product licenses, configuration, charts and data will be automatically imported into the new version.

How do I manually install charts in PolarView?
- Extract ( "unzip" ) chart archive to a directory of your choice (i.e. C:\Charts on Windows or $HOME/Charts on a Mac)
- In PolarView open Chart Manager from the menu File: Chart Manager. Stay on Charts tab.
- Press Add Directory button, navigate to directory above and press OK. Any charts in that directory will be indexed and added.

WARNING Do not delete or move chart files after adding charts to PolarView. PolarView does not copy chart data to any other location. It uses charts from the same location where you placed them.

The charts that worked before are now missing, what happened?
PolarView indexes charts in place, and uses them from the location where you extracted them. If you move or delete charts after adding them to PolarView, these charts will no longer be available. The status of these charts in Chart Manager will be shown as Missing.
Reinstall these charts and make sure to leave them in place after installation.

How do I get a live view of ship on a chart?
I have GPS connected to a computer, but my vessel does not show up in PolarView - what do I do?

- Once you have installed and configured PolarView, make sure you can see your vessel position in PolarView GPS location instrument, available in the default instrument panel.
- To see live ship view, select menu Ship: Live Ship ModeM or use on-screen button Ship and select Live Ship Mode from pop-up menu.

How do I keep the chart from rotating when using live GPS navigation?
When PolarView is in a live ship mode and is displaying a ship on a chart, there are two options wrt. chart orientation:
- Keep Course Up
- Keep chart stationary. This option allows the chart to remain North Up or in any other user-selected orientation
Course Up is the default selection. To turn it off, open Preferences: Ship & AIS tab and uncheck option Keep course up.

How do I get other ships/AIS targets to show up on a chart?
You need to provide input from AIS receiver to PolarView. Once you do so, PolarView will show all available AIS targets on a chart.

What NMEA 0183 messages does PolarView support?
PolarView can understand the following NMEA 0183 sentences:
GLL,VTG,RMC,GGA,GSA,GSV,DBK,DBS,DBT,DPT,HDG,HDT,HDM,VHW,VWR,VWT,MWV,MWD,MTW,ROT,RSA

What NMEA 2000 PGNs does PolarView support?
PolarView can understand the following NMEA 2000 PGNs:
01F112 - heading
01F801 - position "rapid update"
01F802 - cog & sog "rapid update"
01F809 - time & date
01FA04 - GNSS sats
01F50B - water depth
01F503 - speed, water referenced
01FD02 - Wind data
01FD08 - Temperature
01F113 - ROT
01FD13 - Met station
01F80F - Class B - position (type 18)
01FB02 - Class A - static data (type 5)
01F80E - Class A - position (type 1,2,3)
01F810 - Class B - extended position (type 19)
01FB11 - B static data (type 24, part A )
01FB12 - B static data (type 24, part B )

Can PolarView control my autopilot?
PolarView can send NMEA 0183 autopilot control sentences (ECAPB,ECRMB ) when an active route has been set.
To send these sentences:
- In PolarView Configuration: Data panel check option Send Autopilot.
- In port options for the PolarView port that will communicate with autopilot check option NMEA Out.
As of this version, PolarView does not send NMEA 2000 autopilot control sentences.

Does PolarView show route-related data?
PolarView instruments include the following to show route related data when following a route:

VMG – speed (velocity) made good. Speed with which a vessel is moving towards its destination, as measured on a line between current vessel position and destination.
XTE – cross track error. In general, shortest distance from current vessel position to the nearby route leg.
BTN – bearing to next. Compass bearing to the next waypoint enroute. DTN – distance to next. Distance to the next waypoint enroute.
ETEN – estimated time enroute to next point.
ETAN – estimated time of arrival to next point.
DTD – distance to destination. This is a distance to the final point of multi-leg route. Measured along the route.
ETED – estimated time enroute to destination.
ETAD- estimated time of arrival at destination.

I am sending NMEA data from my GPS to PolarView. Why don't I see route related data (course to steer/distance to waypoint/ETA)?
PolarView will calculate and display route related data when an active route has been set on a chart. PolarView does not display externally provided route related data.

How do I configure PolarView to work with a serial port?
PolarView comes pre-configured to autodetect a single NMEA 0183 or Actisense NGT-1 serial port input. This is usually sufficient to get you started on a system that has a single GPS device, such as BU-353 or similar, without additional configuration.

If for some reason the input is not detected or you wish to connect more than one serial NMEA 0183 input, please follow instructions in this article.

My computer has only USB ports and no RS232 serial ports. How can I connect GPS with serial port wiring to my computer?
To connect a GPS with standard NMEA 0183 serial port wiring, you will need a USB to serial (RS232) converter. The following device seems to work for many users: http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp

What GPS can I use with PolarView?
Any GPS that provides data in NMEA 0183 format should be compatible.
A common choice for "puck" style GPS is GlobalSat BU-353, see this article for details.

Can I use a Garmin GPS with PolarView?
Only if your Garmin device provides data in NMEA 0183 format. Many Garmin GPS devices provide data in proprietary Garmin format. For these devices you will need to use another program or driver to convert Garmin data format into NMEA 0183 for use with PolarView.
- On Windows XP you can use Garmin's Spanner utility
- On other systems you can use a utility such as GpsGate.
Some Garmin GPS devices allow user to select between NMEA 0183 and Garmin data format in device configuration. Please see your Garmin GPS user guide for details.

Why can I see NMEA messages from the serial port in a terminal program but not in PolarView?
Serial port in PolarView remains in waiting state even though GPS is connected and sending NMEA messages.

Make sure that you close/fully exit any other program that is using your GPS/serial port. Serial ports can only be used by one program at a time. If another program (such as terminal emulator) is using the serial port, PolarView will not be able to open it and PolarView port will remain in waiting state.

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 12:43PM by Polar Navy Support.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.